Wednesday, August 29, 2007

And He's Off..



Many of us are sending our children off to school this week. I got to send both my son AND my husband back to school on Monday. They were both nervous, picking their outfits out the night before, making sure their bags are packed. It's a bittersweet day for all of us. The summer is over, and we're back to a routine. But like many of you out there... I feel like it's time. Time to get back into a routine... we've had a fun, and extremely fast summer.

I've had mixed emotions as this day approaches. On Sunday afternoon, Huckleberry and the others fell asleep on the way home from the outlet stores and Stretch laid him on our bed. I watched him sleep. It was so nice - I just watched him sleep. And it's then, when he's quiet and not moving that I can't bear the thought of him going to first grade. All day? Without me? With the influence of others that I can't control? But then I breathe... he's gonna be great in school. He's gonna love it.

And so with just a small tear in my eye - I sent him to school. But as he trotted into school with his Batman backpack on, I realized that it wasn't a tear of sadness... I was proud. Really proud - and I felt confident he was ready.


4 comments:

Melissa said...

You almost made ME cry!

I know...I'm praying for you....they just seem so little!

However, I KNOW that God is going to guide him and I just sense that he has the grace and anoiting to be a peacemaker in every situation he encounters.

Mrs. C said...

How is it possible that we are mommies of first graders?!?

The Gang's Momma! said...

Aawwww, so incredibly sweet. I can't believe he's in first grade already! BBE starts Kindergarten next week, but I get to keep him one more year since we are homeschooling. But still, how did they grow up so fast?

Love the one of the three of them hugging and mugging on the steps - that'd be great blown up and framed - they all look so happy and sweet!

This Journey of Mine said...

Good grief... I almost cried. The kids look so sweet! And it is amazing to me that he is actually in first grade now!