Wednesday, June 6, 2007

And The "Mother of the Year" Award Goes To...


Not me. Maybe not even you. Who would actually get one of these awards anyway? Now, don't get me wrong, I have wonderful mommy moments with my kids that get me a nomination... but I always lose my chance in the running for the "Mother of the Year" Award.

I say this phrase more often than I'd like to admit. It helps me to lighten up the fact that I've just done something or didn't do something that will land my kids in therapy as adults. The laughter helps... helps mask the tears that I've totally screwed up.

So, here's how I lost my chance in the running for the "Mother of the Year" Award:

I was on the phone with a "mommy friend". If you don't know what a mommy friend, it is someone you most likely wouldn't be friends with except that your kids are in the same class at school and so you rely on each other through the year. You don't necessarily call them to hang out (unless of course you have the kids with you).

Anyhoo - I was on the phone and in a fairly deep conversation that shouldn't be interrupted - and I kept hearing Pumpkin Pie's muffled voice yelling my name and pounding. I thought she was upstairs with the kids and her door was shut and she was unable to get the door open. (ok, now I'm lying - actually I thought one of the other kids had shut her into a closet and she couldn't get out, but really - does that detail matter? maybe a little). And since I was talking to a friend about her marriage, I thought it was inappropriate to interrupt her and therefore felt it was appropriate to ignore my screaming two year old for just a few more minutes - after all she wasn't crying.

About ten minutes later (even as I write that, I realize I ignored Pumpkin Pie WAY to long), I see my "neighbor friend" (similar to a "mommy friend" just met in different circumstances) walking across the street. Thinking she was just coming for a visit, I run over to the door and stretch to open it, still clutching my corded kitchen phone (trying not to interrupt my conversation) to welcome her in. And there I find her, Pumpkin Pie -standing on the front steps ALONE, in a diaper and high heels. That's right ladies, my two year old had been outside by herself on the front steps banging on the door to let her in for at least ten minutes. My neighbor friend saw her and heard her from across the street and thought she'd rescue her. Thanks Pam.

If only Pumpkin Pie knew how important the phone call was, she would have tried opening the stinkin' door herself. ha ha

Ah, so much for the Mom of the Year Award - I guess I'll have to relinquish it to someone far more worthy. Any of you have a great mommy moment that get you a nomination? Anyone lose the nomination before it was announced?

9 comments:

Krazy Klingers said...

You are so real... I love that about you. It makes me realize that I am not the only one who makes mistakes raising my child. We should start a support group. hahaha

Emily said...

I can't think of any at the moment except letting Princess grab her burning birthday cake candle.

I only have 1 1/2 years under my belt. I'm sure I will have more MOTY moments before too many years go by.

Mrs. C said...

Too funny!

Reminds me of the time when I asked Jeter to feed the dog while I went to the basement to take care of laundry. While down there I heard a muffled voice calling "MOMMY!" and some kind of pounding...

Finally I ran upstairs to find him at the back glass door - locked out of the house with a cup of dog food in his hand, crying!

My heart sank.

Apparently, when he went into the garage and closed the door he locked himself out of the house. Then he went outside thinking of coming in the back door - but it was locked too!

Jeter then proposed a new rule that he didn't get the dog food unless I was on the same floor level!

the back door said...

this is very random, but i'm mom in action's cousin (the back door). anyways, i have seen your listing in her blogs and just had to finally give in and read it. my little boy is jack and we would read that book 10 times a day when he was little so you had me intrigued. but i got a big kick out of reading.....and i have way too many of those mommy of the year moments!!!!

Promises said...

The craziest things happen to you! I think that we have all ignored our kids for a little bit while on the phone, and thank the Lord for His protection of your little one!

The one thing that I remember is Brady grabbing his burning birthday candle - just like Thrill's princess. I could have died that day! Thank the Lord that the kids forgive and forget!

Natalie said...

Well, let's see...if I recalled all that I have you'd be reading from now until Jesus comes back. However, it seems many of mine happen while I'm with you or your kids, Say Anything.

One of my favorites is when I watched Chicken Nugget a day that I was sick. I layed in bed the entire time and the girls would come in periodically to ask questions. When they asked if they could have a snack, I replied from my death bed that if they could reach it they could eat it.

When I finally came downstairs food was strewn all over the kitchen and family room. And there they say watching TV, with big bowls of assorted junk food in front of them, happy as larks.

I can't imagine why they didn't want lunch that day.

I just put up a post with another story from today.

The Gang's Momma! said...

You crack me up. Crazy things like that happen to me all the time. Seriously, all the time. I decided a long time ago "If you don't laugh about your life, you'll be the only one not laughin'!" :)

In almost 13 years of parenting, I have way more of those stories to tell than I should openly admit. Like the time I locked myself out, and LadyBug in, a running car when she was only 6 weeks old. Or when I rant and vent and rage (like 0 to 60 in NO SECONDS FLAT!) about "who left the stinkin' garage door open again?!" only to have my oldest smirk and say, "Uh, Mom, that was you." Oh. UGH. (Okay, so that was today.)

Sometimes I think the fact that mine are alive to tuck in at the end of a day is good enough ;)

Thanks for the laugh and the dose of reality. Love that about you!

Leeann said...

Hi,

I just discovered your blog through the Pioneer Woman photo site. I like it! I'll be bookmarking it and checking in.
BTW, your last post was all too real. Every mom out there has a whole arsenal of moments like that. Things that make you say "Doh!"
Take care and hang in there,
Leeann
niccofive.blogspot.com

Natalie said...

Can you imagine my surprise when I was perusing all of the Pioneer Woman's pictures of readers and found YOU!! And you were like picture number 6 or 7!! I always knew you were a Pioneer Woman at heart. Actually, since I know we share this secret obsession with the Pioneer Woman I thought I might see your picture.