Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Mommies Beware...

OK ladies... I do alot of crafts with my kids. Painting, drawing, sculpting, making candles, tie dying... all sorts of stuff. So, I say with some expertise - FLOAM buyers beware!!!

My daughter, Chicken Nugget, is very tactile. She loves playdoh, goop, mixing meatloaf with her hands... anything. I tell her that someday she'll be a surgeon, maneuvering her hands into the core of someone's body. So, when FLOAM came onto the market, we were very excited.

The FLOAM packaging boasts how easy it is to use. Just simply roll it out and cover your favorite objects: a vase, a toy, a picture frame - they even show you a picture of a child's bike that has been completely covered in FLOAM.

And then we opened the container. And touched it. Oh my word! What a mess. It was so sticky, you couldn't shape it, roll it out, or cover something with it... unless you were trying to "floam" your own hands. It was a mess. I decided to let it sit out, with the lid off for a few hours. And it got better. After a few more hours, we were actually able to use it. We tried to cover aluminum foil that we had attempted to make into cool shapes. Nope, wouldn't stick. We tried several other items (no, not the kids' bikes) and then just eventually played with the stuff like PlayDoh instead. Expensive PlayDoh.
Then Chicken Nugget got a package of it for Christmas. This package came as a craft kit - including styrofoam shapes, two small packages of FLOAM, plastic eyes, and pipe cleaners. Yet again, when we opened it, it was horribly goopy - so we had to let it sit out for a few hours. We were able to make two little "creatures" - but not without alot of help from me.

Well, Chicken Nugget must have really gotten the word out that she likes this stuff, because she just received it for her birthday. I've been putting her off casually, each time she asks me, but I didn't get away with that for long. We opened it yesterday and it was so wet, it looked like slime in the bottom of container - it was disgusting. So, I did what I ALWAYS do when someone (smile) buys us this junk... I let it sit out. A few hours later - still too wet. Fast forward to 24 hours later and can see for yourself the results:

Needless to say - if you want to get on my bad side - buy this for my kids. If you want to FLOAM your own hands - buy this for yourself.

8 comments:

Mrs. C said...

Yuch! Thanks for the warning. I plan to stay VERY FAR AWAY!

The Gang's Momma! said...

EEEEEW! I give you props for all the tactile things you do with your kids - I'm still not over the heaving and hurling that happened when the boys wanted get out the playdough when I was pregnant with LadyBug. Even now, the sight of a jar makes me queasy. And the smell? Don't even come near me with the stuff! That's reserved for Aunt L'il Sis and her play room - makes them all love her and think she's the cool aunt. Okay by me.

Melissa said...

I detest the stuff....it made it's way into our trash can minutes after they dug their hands into it.

Melissa said...

By the way, C.N. looks older to me and VERY beautiful...just like her gorgeous mommy!

Promises said...

That is so good to know - I almost bought some of that stuff, but definitely will not!

This could be good material for your schtick - I can hear you talking about it in my head and the ladies laughing. You have a great delivery and way to tell a funny story - look forward to it in December!

Kelli said...

I know the floam. I also hate the floam. Scarlett went over to neighbor girl's house last year and they played with it there. That was the only time I liked it: when it wasn't in my house.

Krazy Klingers said...

Wow, Now I know what to buy everyone for Christmas! Floam for ALL...

Kristie said...

wow - gross! twinkletoes wants this stuff sooo badly. too bad Santa will have to leave it off of his list this year - again! thanks for the warning.