Monday, April 2, 2007

Clothes, Clothes, Everywhere!!!

Don't you love the change of seasons? I do. I love the sounds of a new season... in spring the windows are finally being opened, the birds are chirping, the neighborhood is alive again! On our block alone, we have twenty kids from toddlers to high schoolers... and it's wonderful. My kids are never outside alone, never bored, never needing someone to play with. They travel together in a pack from one back yard to another - and with the majority of moms at home during the day, there is always an adult around. It's just awesome.

The downside to the change of seasons, as I'm sure most moms will agree, is the "Switching of the Clothes". With three small kids, this chore seems to go on forever. It's just not as simple as switching out the long-sleeved shirts for short-sleeved ones. Oh no, I wish. Some spring days feel more like summer and we need shorts and t-shirts, then there are days like today where the kids are better off in shorts, a long-sleeved shirt and a windbreaker. Then, we have to try on all the clothes - what fits, what doesn't, what needs to be given away, stored away until next year, or put in another bin for their younger sibling. I am inundated with bins and boxes - I'm ready to scream! My girls can't even walk in their room!

So as I'm "trying" to get the kids organized, I thought I should have a bin in each of their closets that at the beginning of the season with be completely. I've labeled it "(kids name) - Too Small". Then during the season, as they outgrow their clothes, I simply toss them into this bin and at the end of the season toss it into a box to either store for their younger sibling, or give to Goodwill. I'm sure many of you are laughing at my pathetic attempt to make my life easier, but I'm pretty thrilled about it. If you have any other great ideas for this crazy change of season, I would love to hear from you! In the meantime I'll start simple...

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I like the idea about the bin but I have no room whatsoever in #2 and #3's room they share. Unless I convert a bin into a bed....hmmmm......

Mrs. C said...

I think it is a great idea! Any "system" that makes ones life simpler and more organized is a good one.