Sunday, April 1, 2007

Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow...

My husband is a middle school teacher who will go to great lengths to motivate his students.

Every year he coordinates the Math-a-Thon, a school wide campaign to raise funds for St. Jude's Research Hospital by getting pledges for completing a certain number of math problems. In order to really motivate the kids to raise more money than usual, he decided that he would give them an incentive. If they raised $4000 this year, he would let the students shave his head, completely!

Oh my word. "Lord, please I really love St. Jude's and the sweet sick children who benefit from the funds that Husbands school will raise, but please Lord, let it be less than $4000".

Horrible, I know. So, for the last few months, my clean cut husband has been allowing his hair to grow, to make the shaving ceremony even more dramatic. I gotta tell you, the last few weeks have been a real challenge for me. I love my husband, no matter what, we've been together since the 12th grade. But... I really go for the clean cut look. I'm not a fan of facial hair, scruff, or slopping long hair. And he's gone a bit overboard. Not only did he let his hair grow for MONTHS, but he has also been forgetting to shave a small area of his face too. I don't even know what you call it, it's not a goatee, it's that small patch of hair that grows under you husband's lower lip - it's lower than a mustache, and higher than a goatee - help me out ladies. I'm sure there is a catchy name for it. I call it "dirt". Loving, I know.

God has really stretched me on this. I've been trying to keep my mouth shut and let him do what he wants with both his hair and his face, but my name isn't Say Anything for nothin'.

Husband's school raised alot of money to benefit St. Jude's Research Hospital, but not enough for him to have his head shaved in the auditorium of his school. As soon as I found out, I informed him that he should not come home until he has gone to the barber. I also told him to have the barber take the "dirt" off of his face. My husband looks like a brand new man. Hallelujah. Here are the before and after pictures:


BEFORE

AFTER


5 comments:

Mrs. C said...

So THAT'S why he was letting his hair grow! I think that's pretty cool - probably because of teaching high school (those 8 years warped my mind!!!). He looks good both ways to me but hair isn't a huge issue in my book...unless it's mine.

Anonymous said...

AWWWWW, he looks great all clean cut and shaven! And what a great teacher he is, to offer such an incentive. And here I thought he was growing it out in an early mid-life crisis! Let me tell you, that look sure beats my hubby's plans: a tatoo for his 40th!! I'm working hard on dissuading him from that one, but it's falling on deaf ears so far. I have a year and a half to work my persuasive powers :) I think the daily trek into the city is giving him tooooo much time to think up weird ways to torture me :)

Melissa said...

His before picture looked like Dan Hassil-something from Jars of Clay, especially with the "dirt".

This Journey of Mine said...

I was wondering what was up with the hair!

BlackJack said...

Sorry,
but I liked the Scruffy Look.
Blackjack