Wednesday, January 16, 2008

The Beach...

So great! The doctor told me I had to go to the beach everyday, how bad could this be? We lived 15 minutes from the beach in San Diego. So, the very next day - my mom packed us up and took me to the beach. I couldn't wait. I kept thinking - no yucky medicine to swallow, no shots to take - what could be better.

My mom packed lunch, laid out a blanket and I went running for the water - so filled with excitement that we HAD to do this everyday to get better. And then it happened. The salt water hit my skin, my red sore flared up skin. As a seven year old, you've never had this happen before (you know, like the day you shaved your legs and hour before you hit the beach). The pain that soared through my body was horrific. I turned right around running to my mom screaming in agony. She wrapped me up in a beach towel and rocked me. We didn't even stay to have lunch on the beach. I was so sore, so upset. So disappointed. We did this everyday for weeks, until I think my mom couldn't take it anymore. I was so grateful. To this day, I'm not a huge fan of the ocean water.

More tomorrow.

2 comments:

The Gang's Momma! said...

Thank you for sharing so openly and honestly. I never knew all this back story about you. I'm anxious to hear more as you keep unfolding it all.

Hands-Free Heart said...

I appreciate your willingness to share with us.

I can see why you wouldn't care for the ocean. Its amazing to me that you actually went back in it day after day. You have a lot of strength.