Monday, January 28, 2008

Hi My Name is *** and I have Psoriasis...

So, I went to my very first Psoriasis Support Group. I feel like a dork just saying it really. But I knew I had to go. No, God didn't "tell me" to go, but I definitely felt like I'm gonna face this thing dead on and here's just another way to do it. So I went.

It was a very small group. Just five of us. Apparently there are upwards to twelve members. They served Panera for lunch (that'll keep me coming back for sure) and I sat down. No one asked me about my psoriasis. We sat and the ladies at the table were talking about insulation in a basement. Really, insulation. I thought, "I'll be patient, I'm sure they'll strike up a psoriasis conversation soon." Nope. Just insulation. After about 15 minutes of pretending I was interested, I finally spoke up. I turned to the lady next to me and said, "so tell me your story, how long have you had psoriasis." And the conversation began.

It was interesting to hear each person's short story - when they first had an outbreak and where they are now with it. Two of the ladies have psoriatic arthritis as well a psoriasis. The youngest of us (probably young twenties) is in remission but continues to come because, as she says, "I know it will be back".

Then we met a wonderful dermatologist from Hershey Medical Center. He looked far too young and good looking to be a real doctor, but after hearing him speak about T-cells and biologic treatments I was convinced he was legit.

Here's a few things I came away learning from that afternoon:

1 - Insulation has a front and a back, with a moisture barrier on one side - so when putting it in your basement, the moisture barrier should be pointing north.

2 - I use the typical treatments that any dermatologist would suggest. I'm totally normal in the scheme of psoriasis. Not normal in the rest of my life of course, but just the psoriasis.

3 - The next course of treatment for me would be to go on a systemic medication if the UVB therapy isn't effective. Systemic medications are in pill form and work to bind and inhibit the the enzyme involved in the overproduction of skin cells.

4 - Three of the five ladies at the table use biologics - a weekly self-injectible treatment that binds up the T Cells that are wreaking havoc on our skin. This would be the last course of treatment when all others didn't work, or if you are presenting signs of psoriatic arthritis.

5 - The biologic treatments have been around for 10 years - so no one knows the long term implications.

6 - The dermatologist is not married, likes the theatre, and we're trying to hook him with the young girl at our table up.

So there you have it. My recap.

5 comments:

momteacherfriend said...

Enjoyed the recap, you actually got a LOL with #1.

Jewel said...

I admire you so much for finally taking the huge step of going to the meeting AND for starting the conversation that evening. I have contemplated joining an arthritis support group but haven't as of yet. Reading your post has nudged me quite a bit closer to taking that step! Thank you. *smile* ((HUGS)) I will be praying for you, that the Lord will continue to give you grace and strength.

Livin' Life said...

I wanted to personally thank you for your obeidience to the Lord for writing your testimony. It is awsesome. You have truly inspired me and I have now been able to step out begin to chronicle my dealings with severe depression. You have become a catalyst for the Lord setting women free to be real and honest with one another. Powerful stuff!! Keep going. You don't know how much you may impact others!!!

momteacherfriend said...

In answer to your question:
Plumber. With a sister company in two far away states. He travels to help them out. One of the companies is having a hard time so he has been needed MUCH MORE than normal. Unfortunately his next flight out is already booked. Hopefully February has a better home/away ratio.

The Gang's Momma! said...

This is all great. I giggled with #1 and #6 - so you :)

Glad you are finding support and encouragement in the journey. In that process, you are encouraging a whole bunch of us to live more honestly and be more compassionate while we're doing it!