Monday, January 21, 2008

How Long Can This Last???

We moved from California to New Jersey in August, just a few weeks before the start of fourth grade. We had travelled across country in a Econoline Van, the same one that just nine short months ago, had driven us from North Carolina to California. I remember my parents debating whether or not my mom and I should fly to NJ instead - because of my condition. But we all drove... sightseeing along the way.


My most memorable moment from that trip is when my dad, who was driving at the time, was drumming on the steering wheel and console to the song "We're Coming to America" by Neil Diamond. It was one of our favorite songs. My dad was getting a little carried away with his "drum solo" when he banged on the cooler that was sitting on the floor between his seat and my moms. He banged hard on that cooler ... not realizing my mom had just put her needlepoint down. It was a strange scene - while still driving, he reached his hand over to my mother in the passenger seat, needle sticking out of of his palm and said very calmly, "Maryke, take it out". She took it out, and he kept driving. The rest of the ride was quiet.


We arrived in New Jersey - all of us unhappy to be moving, AGAIN. But over the next few weeks and months, something really wonderful happened. My psoriasis began to improve. It made no sense really - the sun and salt water were supposed to be really good in healing my sores and we just left California, where both were available daily!


Within, I would say five years of my outbreak, I had just a few spots left on my body and some on my scalp. And by the time I was in middle school, Psoriasis was just a nuisance for me. Worsening in the winter months, still barely noticeable. An occasional spot would flare up, but I could cover it.


It no longer consumed my thoughts. I was no longer riddled with intense itching and pain. I was no longer a sight for others to stare at. It wasn't hard to live with... just a few spots. And that's how it remained for the next 18 years. Until this November.


More tomorrow...

3 comments:

Mrs. C said...

I'm still cringing over the needle in your father's palm!

Livin' Life said...

See NJ's good for something!!! That aside your testimony is beautiful. Your family is amazing!!

The Gang's Momma! said...

This is really amazing - so encouraging and thought-provoking. I really appreciate you and your bravery in sharing the whole history. . .