Friday, January 25, 2008

Kids Say the Darndest Things...

I just came back from spending two hours in Huckleberry's first grade class. After helping 18 - seven year olds with guided reading and then having lunch with them, I'm pooped. Seven year olds are an "interesting" breed - they are quirky, have alot of pent up energy and are rarely funny to anyone but another seven year old.

While I was standing in line with my son in the classroom (waiting for several slackers to get it together and get their lunchboxes) his friends started up a conversation about my face. They were all very nice, but were inquisitive about what it was. So I, as quickly and as to the point as I could explained psoriasis. I realized as I was getting ready to say, "your skin cells die off every 28 days" I could already hear the "ewww gross" comments, so I replaced "dead" with "shed" and it seemed to thankfully go a tad bit over their head. Then I explained "my skin just does it super fast". Huckleberry proceeded to tell the kids - "don't worry, it's not contagious". I tell them that I have a great doctor (gross overstatement) that is helping me. That reminds a seven year old little girl to tell me that she too has a doctor at the emergency room because she has "ammonia" - as I correct her with little success, a little boy asks if I have medicine. I tell him yes, I go to the doctor three times a week, and he gives me medicine. And he replies, "oh, is it Proactive? I see that on TV." And with that I give a little chuckle and a "no sweetie, not exactly" and we are whisked away to lunch.

Kids say the darndest things.

As a side note - I think that all lunch ladies and lunch aides are grossly overpaid and age far quicker than most people. They are all saints in my book. One visit to the lunchroom a year is enough for me!

2 comments:

Livin' Life said...

I hear you when it comes to going into our kids classrooms. You are also so right about cafeteria's I don't even go there. I help out occasionally but the lunch part is totally over stimulating for me.You are one good mama!!

Kristie said...

my 6 year old thinks he's the funniest guy alive -- we should get the kids together soon! i'm not sure what is worse - being a lunch lady at an elementary school or a high school? you definitely couldn't pay me enough to deal with those attitudes all day long! glad you're feeling good!!