Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Parmesan Corn Chowder

Found this recipe in a cookbook this morning and was thrilled to see that I didn't have to go to the food store for any of the ingredients. I love those types of recipes. And I love the fact that I could put off going to the food store with three kids yet another day. I won't be so fortunate tomorrow - we're out of milk, eggs and well, just about everything else. So without further delay - here it is:

Parmesan Corn Chowder
2 cups chopped peeled potato
1/2 c thinly sliced carrot
1/2 c thinly sliced celery
1/4 c chopped onion
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 cup margarine/butter
1/4 c flour
2 cups milk
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 - 17 oz can cream-style corn
In a large Dutch oven, stir together 2 cups water, the potato, carrot, celery, onion and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, melt the margarine/butter. Stir in the flour. Add the milk all at once. Cook & stir over medium heat until the mixture is thickened and bubbly. Add the cheese, stirring until it is melted. Carefully add the cheese mixture to vegetable mixture. Stir in the corn. Heat the soup through, stirring occasionally. Do not boil.
(I made two changes - I added another cup of water because it just didn't seem like enough & I added two chicken bouillon cubes to the water - I thought it might be a bit bland boiled in just water).
A month ago, I bought a chunk of fresh Parmesan cheese at the store - I always thought it was too expensive. It isn't cheap - but it is really worth it, everything tastes so much better and the cheese lasts a really long time. Try it, let me know what you think!

No comments: